These “Party Cupcakes” say special! Part of our summer series. Check out the other videos and blogs in the series. “Sangria Recipe”, “Summer Party DIY’s”, “Make 1950s Playsuits”, “Party Cupcakes” and “Retro Summer Party” where you can see how everything turned out and the girls big surprise! Don’t forget to download the free cupcake liner pattern at the bottom of the page too.These cupcakes are made with a sturdy buttercream frosting so they will last without refrigeration for an afternoon. They held up beautifully in 75 degree weather.
Our party is retro themed, so we made them look like an old-fashioned ice cream sundae.
Bake the cupcakes. Any favorite recipe or cake mix will do. We decided to go with a gluten free box mix, which was delicious and easy!
We decided on Buttercream frosting because it is a favorite and holds up well without refrigeration. Also easier to pipe frosting.
We love almond extract, but if it’s not to your liking, just leave it out.
- Mix butter until fluffy (4 or 5 minutes)
- On slow speed, slowly add 3 to 4 cups confectioners sugar while adding 4 to 5 tablespoons milk. Alternate until a good consistency for piping.
- Once blended, add vanilla & almond extract and turn up to med/high.
- Blend until fluffy and refrigerate appx 15 minutes, or until firm enough to pipe frosting, but not too cold, or it will be hard to pipe the frosting out of the bag.
- Cut the tip of a piping bag or sandwich bad just large enough to fit piping tip. We used a Wilton 1m tip here, but most any tip will work.
- Fill bag with frosting.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcake. Slowly with a little pressure, pipe the frosting around the cupcake starting from the outside working to the middle. Temperature of frosting needs to be cool enough to keep its shape, but not too cold, or the piping will not come out of the bag easily.
- Add a cherry on top. Be sure to drain the cherry juice to avoid running.
Download free liner pattern at the bottom of this page. Trace, cut out, and tape.
This cupcake says party! Get creative with the liners. Make photo liners, or print your own art. There is no limit, just make sure the paper is sturdy!
Download free cupcake liner pattern here PATTERN